Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Departure

After a 24 hours packing spree…we finished at 5 a.m. in the morning, the taxi-van came to pick us up at 6 a.m. Well the timing was perfect and we did not have to worry where we had a mattress available to sleep that night (as our friend Shai had predicted). We were pretty tired but now we had to gather all the adrenaline necessary for the trip. The flight was unusually smooth, the kids behave well and the cats were super quiet, to the point that my neighbor did not notice I had a cat until we got to Cancun. Even our 30 minutes layover in Houston turned out to our benefit because a little motorized cart came to pick us up. And if you know Huston airport, you must know that is a huge advantage. There were at least three miles between gates.

The plane was packed with well-behaved Americans. It arrived in Cancun on time, the immigration was a long, but fast moving line. Apparently once in Mexico people know which line to choose by themselves, in fact you do not need an obnoxious individual shouting at you or a big fat yellow line. We were able to figure that out just as easily!

The kids were running on the conveyor belt (which fortunately was not on) while we filled up the immigration paperwork …and no one was saying anything. No one accusing Matthias and Oscar of terrorism or more appropriately drug traffic! Anyway I went to pick up my uncontrollable kids and Matthias ask the custom office if we were in Mexico? Just checking…

Believe it or not the 5 pieces of luggage and two car seats were there waiting for us, the paper work for the cats was reviewed rapidly, and in no time we are in a giant van on the way to our new home.

I called Lorenzo, our local savior, that was going to meet us at the house. I had to come all the way to Mexico to experience a trip with 2 kids, 2 cats, 1 husband, 2 huge suitcases, 3 big bags, hot and humid temperature and a sleepless night and still be in a good mood…

I am writing it so that I will believe myself one day.

The house we are staying this first month it is very fancy, there are three floors and on the top floor there is bedroom with a huge king size bed, with huge bathroom and a walking closet as big as my Manhattan apartment, middle floor the kids room, the guest room (ding ding), and another bathroom and the ground floor is a large living area with big kitchen and an half bath.

The cats, after few hours under the sofa, got possession of the house. Lorenzo bought a scratching pad with a game and litter for them… I told you he was our savior! He gave us interesting information. For instance: the resident of playacar (the residential area where we live) have access to an hotel close by and can use the facility of the hotel (beach, pool, kids activities, etc) for free. Wow! That is life as it should be!

We have a common pool 5 meters away from the house, and of course as soon as we got here the kids jumped in it. That is guarantee hour of peace and from my living room I can see them and enjoy a moment of peace while the monsters jump up and down in the water.

We went to a local deli to buy little things for breakfast and we ordered a pizza for dinner but we got two for the price of one, it is like the margaritas! We had a little not up-to-standard margarita bought at the convenience store but, at this point of the night, we were really really tired so we gulped without a problem.

1 comment:

Camp Cool Counselor said...

Hello Vero! Congrats on your move to Mexico. I'm really fascinated to know what prompted this drastic change in scenery. I'm sure you're probably a bit wiped out and overwhelmed but I'd love to see a post about the events leading up to this "Year in Mexico".