Thursday, October 19, 2006

Accident and finally getting mad at Mexicans

October 14, 2006


One morning very diligently, as every morning, I take M and O to school, I just pass the gate at a speed 2 km/h and I hit a man on a bicycle. Ok I had the scare of my life, I hit his leg with my bumper but he seemed ok. I offered to take him to the doctor, bring him some ice but he say he was ok and he asked me my phone number in case something was wrong. Well, off he goes with his bike… but sure enough in the afternoon he calls me saying that he is at the doctor, he needed 5000 pesos (500 dollars) as a deposit for the medical bills. Ok the “scam” antenna start going in function. I run at “Julieta to the rescue” to try to understand the unwritten law. Anyway, after some brainstorming we call the insurance, the insurance guy “deus ex-machina” arrives, solves the problem with the injured person and pays all the damage. The poor injured guy was standing up but clearly something was not quite right with his leg. He was nice and I hated to have been the bad foreigner who hit him but it was clearly a stupid accident and that’s why we have insurance (which are not compulsory in Mexico).

We need it to do a double of the car key. It required an overnight stay that was stretch out to a 72 hours stay and for the first I got mad in Spanish. I said that they were free to keep the car but I would have a rental paid by them. Julieta added another speech few hours later. The difference is that I get really frustrated she is just pretending! Anyway WV at Playa del Carmen now fear us…

Turtle go!
Saturday night after an afternoon at Paamul with the Taormina’s and the Casco’s (Lorenzo family) and at night we went to release the baby turtles to the sea. It involved some waiting and commotion and music way too loud (tecno liberacion, how my yoga instructor named it, she was also there but I did not see her). Each of us got a turtle, Matthias named his/her "Cancun", Oscar “Baby” and then we release them and hoping they would survive the wilderness. Out of 1000 only 2 survive! The kids were cheering for their turtle to get into the water. Lorenza’s one "Dynamite" was really fast. It was a great moment…

No comments: